Saturday, April 01, 2006

What's going on....

This picture is of one of the woodpeckers that comes to our feeder. We got a little excited because, using the pictures from our bird book, we identified it (from its bright orange color) as a golden-fronted woodpecker, which should be in Texas! However, after sending the picture to the local chapter of the National Audubon Society, we were told it is a female red-bellied woodpecker. Ah well, they are still fun to watch. And she is not alone! We have also had a downy woodpecker, a piliated woodpecker and a male red-bellied woodpecker at our feeder, along with the cardinals, chickadees, titmice, carolina wrens, goldfinches, house finches, nuthatch, and junko....I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody...
Anyway, Dave has been gone a lot this month- first to Germany and England, then to Augusta, GA. In a couple weeks, he has to be up in Massachussetts for a few days. This is a lot of travel all of a sudden!
The weather is starting to get nice, and so today (Saturday) we headed out into the yard and Dave did some ground-leveling, while I pulled some weeds. We got a bunch of seeds, and pretty soon we'll be planting some tomatoes, spaghetti squash, Marigolds, Canterbury Bells, Rock Cress, Lavender, Alyssum, and Chinese Lanterns. We may even throw in a sunflower or two.
I've been taking my doctor's advice and drinking more so I can avoid another kidney stone. He also told me to get some citrus fruits in my diet, so today I made some lemonade "from scratch". It's a little tart, but very good.
In two weeks, we'll be heading down to Columbia to go to the Zoo with Dad. I'm lloking forward to it. I hope I remember to take the sunscreen! Dave played golf yesterday afternoon and came home with a bright red face. He'll have to wear his hat next time!
Well, I guess that's all for now. We'll have plenty to add later...
-Rachael Posted by Picasa

No comments: